Finn Hänninen leads in Mexico
Finland's Juho Hänninen surged to a surprise lead after Thursday evening's opening two specials at the Rally of Mexico.
The Toyota Yaris driver opened up a 1.6sec lead on Estonia's Ott Tänak in a Ford Fiesta after two 1.57km laps under the rain around Mexico City's iconic Zocalo Square.
Hänninen, 35, was fastest after the first passage around the historic centre of the city with world champion Sebastien Ogier in a Ford Fiesta quickest in the second.
"We made a mistake, the engine went off," explained reigning four-time world champion Ogier of the opening special.
The drivers and cars were later transported back to the rally base of Leon, 400km to the south-east, with Friday's stages over roads near Guanajuato, famed for its silver mines.
1. Juho Hänninen/Kaj Lindström (FIN/Toyota Yaris) 3:37.2
2. Ott Tänak/Raigo Molder (EST/Ford Fiesta RS) at 1.6sec
3. Kris Meeke/Paul Nagle (IRL/Citroën C3) 1.6
4. Thierry Neuville/Nicolas Gilsoul (BEL/Hyundai i20) 2.6
5. Hayden Paddon/John Kennard (NZL/Hyundai i20) 3.2
6. Sebastien Ogier/Julien Ingrassia (FRA/Ford Fiesta RS) 4.0
7. Dani Sordo/Marc Marti (ESP/Hyundai i20) 6.0
8. Jari-Matti Latvala/Miikka Anttila (FIN/Toyota Yaris) 6.2
9. Pontus Tidemand/Jonas Andersson (SWE/Skoda Fabia/WRC2) 6.7
10. Lorenzo Bertelli/Simone Scattolin (ITA/FWRT) 10.3