Vinales finishes P1 at Phillip Island
Maverick Vinales claimed back-to-back P1s at the penultimate pre-season outing at Phillip Island, edging reigning champ Marc Marquez on Friday.
Vinales hit the front on Thursday and it was more of the same from the new Yamaha rider on the third and final day.
A 1:28.549 in the opening hour of testing set him up for a great finish as his time stood unbeaten.
Marquez came the closest to challenging for the P1 slot but finished 0.294s off the pace. Like Vinales, he also set his fastest lap time early in the morning.
After a disappointing day on Thursday, Dani Pedrosa showed his class as he set the third fastest time ahead of Yamaha Tech 3 rider Jonas Folger.
The German was the last rider to get within half a second of Vinales' best time as his teammate, Cal Crutchlow, was P5 and 0.552s off the pace.
Alex Rins had a solid outing for Suzuki, sixth quickest ahead of Andrea Dovizioso and Jorge Lorenzo.
Jack Miller and Aleix Espargaro completed the top ten.
22 of this year's 23 MotoGP riders were in action with only Tito Rabat sidelined. He was withdrawn from the test after suffering several fractures and a severe laceration on his knee when he crashed at Sepang.
The final pre-season test will take place in Qatar from March 10-12.
1. Maverick Viñales Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m28.549s
2. Marc Marquez Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m28.843s 0.294s
3. Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda Team (RC213V) 1m29.033s 0.484s
4. Jonas Folger Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m29.042s 0.493s
5. Cal Crutchlow LCR Honda (RC213V) 1m29.101s 0.552s
6. Alex Rins Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m29.103s 0.554s
7. Andrea Dovizioso Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m29.248s 0.699s
8. Jorge Lorenzo Ducati Team (Desmosedici GP17) 1m29.342s 0.793s
9. Jack Miller Estrella Galicia 0,0 Marc VDS (RC213V) 1m29.358s 0.809s
10. Aleix Espargaro Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m29.361s 0.812s
11. Valentino Rossi Movistar Yamaha MotoGP (YZR-M1) 1m29.470s 0.921s
12. Andrea Iannone Team Suzuki Ecstar (GSX-RR) 1m29.547s 0.998s
13. Danilo Petrucci Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP17) 1m29.615s 1.066s
14. Johann Zarco Monster Yamaha Tech 3 (YZR-M1) 1m29.670s 1.121s
15. Hector Barbera Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP16) 1m29.791s 1.242s
16. Pol Espargaro Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 1m29.857s 1.308s
17. Loris Baz Avintia Racing (Desmosedici GP15) 1m29.977s 1.428s
18. Bradley Smith Red Bull KTM Factory Racing (RC16) 1m29.978s 1.429s
19. Alvaro Bautista Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP16) 1m29.984s 1.435s
20. Scott Redding Octo Pramac Racing (Desmosedici GP16) 1m30.005s 1.456s
21. Sam Lowes Factory Aprilia Gresini (RS-GP) 1m30.200s 1.651s
22. Karel Abraham Aspar MotoGP Team (Desmosedici GP15) 1m30.452s 1.903s